Radial Stagebug SB-4 Piezo Active DI Box
The StageBug SB-4 allows you to retain the natural tone of your piezo-equipped instrument when amplified through a PA system. Unlike typical direct boxes, the SB-4 features a very high 5 meg ohm impedance that smooths out troublesome peaks that give piezo transducers a bad name. This higher impedance also broadens the frequency response for a more natural and pleasing sound. The active circuit balances the audio signal to enable long runs up to 100 meters without loss, while delivering spectacular linearity and low distortion throughout the audio range. Output connections include an aux out for a stage amplifier plus a standard XLR output to feed the PA.
To help eliminate feedback on a live stage, the SB-4 is equipped with a high-pass filter and 180° polarity reverse switch. The high pass filter eliminates excessive bottom end which in turn reduces resonance that can cause the instrument to vibrate. The 180° polarity reverse helps reduce acoustic hot spots on stage by changing the phase relationship between the PA system and room acoustics which can combine at certain frequencies to create peaks.
- Active DI optimized for piezo transducers
- Smooths out peaks & eliminates squawk
- Powered by 48V phantom, no batteries required
- Compact design fits in your instrument case
Using the SB-4 on classical guitar
- Connect your piezo pickup directly to the StageBug SB-4 to get the best tone. No preamp is required! Activate the low-pass filter to eliminate resonance and you are set to go. The SB-4 balances the signal for long runs and smoothes out the peaks for a more natural sounding concert guitar!
Using the SB-4 on dobro
- Use the SB-4 with a piezo on your resonator guitar to capture the unique sound of the body. Connect the AUX out to a stage amp if you like and then send the signal to the PA. The SB-4 will help eliminate the mid range squawk and frequency peaks that often force the sound engineer to turn you down in the mix.
Using the SB-4 on upright
- Traveling with an upright is expensive! So reducing the size of the ancillary equipment is important. The super compact SB-4 connects from the piezo pickup to the PA and you do not need a preamp in between. The SB-4 delivers a deeper bass and more natural top end, greatly improving your tone through the PA.